Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 Balancing Act

Today's boot camp had a lot of core work that helped us with balance. Maybe not the best day for it.

Sharon and I got up at the usual time and drove to the health club. It was unusual in that I drove. I'm usually pretty tired in the morning but I've been worse after school so I had to drive. We arrived on time (no extra push-ups) and went in. Sharon, unfortunately, tripped on a step leading to the exercise room and fell down. Ouch! Sore knee to start class.

We broke into two groups for strength training and core work. The strength training was good, even though I had to keep adjusting so I would jump from the floor to the stage with both feet instead of leading with one. The core work was hard. We did push ups on the ball with our toes resting on the top, side planks with our feet resting on the ball and our body on the floor, more push ups, and then more side planks with our body on the ball. I did okay. The push ups were especially difficult, trying to remain on my toes while I tried to balance and do a push up. The side planks were not easy either and I know I had to get back on the ball a couple times. I did notice that Sharon was having an even harder time and finally just did the exercises on the floor.

Later we played catch with the stability balls. We would V-sit and toss the ball to the other person who would then try to catch it with their feet. This was a bit tricky. Once I tossed the ball to Sharon and she missed it. It kept bouncing and went and bounced on someone's head! Other times after I caught the ball I would fall back.

Next we stayed in the V-sit but rotated our torsos and threw the ball to our partner. This time Dustin was bouncing a ball to someone and it bounced on Sharon's head! Finally we did the wall sit, standing back to back with the ball in between us. I'm not sure what Sharon was doing but she kept adjusting her legs of something so she kept falling down. At least 3 times. I kept managing to catch myself. Dustin was supposed to throw a stability ball at the one supporting us and try to knock it out but, we either ran out of time or he felt sorry for us because he never did do us. We also did something where one person did the plank on the ball while the other did swimmers while trying to knock the person off. Sharon is still having a harder time with balance so Dustin told me not to hit the ball too hard.

So a lot of balance work today. We both need it. I can do the stablity ball stuff ok but still have a difficult time doing things on one leg. The stability ball was tough for Sharon. She fell over so many times people probably thought she was drunk. Just kidding. Well, now we have something extra to work on.

Have a good one.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment