Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 6,2010 Trying TRX

Went back to boot camp today incredibly sore. We were supposed to discuss what body part was sore but for me it was the whole upper body! My abs, in particular, are still crying out from the barbell ordeal.

So, my body asks, what ordeal shall we go through today. Aha, the TRX ordeal, that's what! I had never actually seen the TRX straps in person before, let alone use them but 3 of our stations today involved them. The first was the body row which was pretty much what we did on the playground workout. I wasn't sure which straps to grab on this. The was a firm flat strap and a loose hanging strap. The first time we went this station I used the loose one. It was really hard. I wasn't quite able to pull myself up as high as I should. The second go round I used the firm strap which worked much better. I was able to get the necessary height. Not sure which was the right way but definitey liked the second way better.

The second station was for the hamstrings. We put our heels into the straps and then brought our legs in. I had my feet positioned correctly the first time but my body wasn't in the right place. Dustin grabbed me below the shoulders while I was lying down and pulled me to the correct position. It reminded me of being a kid and someone pulls you along and you yell, "Whee!" Like the little piggy in the Geico commercial. Some people hate that commercial but I love it. I think it is hilarious. Anyways, it became much tougher once I was moved.

The third station we held on to the firm straps, feet on the ground and did push-ups using the straps. Very hard. Just trying to hold myself in place had my upper body shaking. "This is tricky," I told Sharon. I wanted to make sure my feet weren't in too far either. I didn't want to make it easier on myself. I didn't. It was hard.

Another new station for me was the Bosu ball station. We attempted to balance ourselves while throwing the medicine ball back and forth to a partner. Sharon wasn't able to balance the 1st timed so she just threw it to me while she was on the floor. The second time she balanced very well but I didn't. Every time I caught the ball I fell off the Bosu! Every time!

We did many different stations today and also ran in the parking lot for a little cardio. My heart rate gets up plenty just doing the different stations. It was an excellent workout and my arms were shaking after class from the TRX push ups. They don't seem to have a whole lot of strength to them now. Glad I have a day to recover before Ryan or Dustin on Friday.

Have a good one.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment