Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1, 2010 Rainy Days and Wednesdays


The first day of school with kids today. And I smilingly greeted them...with a very tired and sore core.

It was raining pretty heavily when we woke up this morning. Since it had been storming during the night we were sure to check Dustin's website before driving across town. Since there was no storm, boot camp was on.

Upon arrival Dustin had us set up our mats and weights in one place today. For the most part we would be just staying in place for our stations. Since people had felt we had been neglecting our core, today we would be doing a workout that consisted of about 80% core to 20% strength training. We did variations on planks, V-sit up, russian twists, swimmers, squirms, and other things. And all I can say is...Ouch! It was a work out! The abs did recover pretty quickly after each, but we kept pushing them. I think my worst performance was on an oblique sit-up while bringing our knees in toward my chest. I could not do it. I could do the oblique part but could not bring in the legs. I kind of laughed and Dustin came over to help by trying to push them in, but those legs did not want to cooperate! Even he laughed. Then he looked around at all the other participants struggling and said it looked like this was something we would need to work more on.

I also laughed when I misunderstood something else he meant. We were doing push downs. I laid on my back with my legs straight (sort of) up in the air. Sharon stood behind me and would push my legs down hard and I would try and control and stop them before they went all the way down to the ground. She could push them down the center or so they went down to the side. I put my hands underneath my back to support it so it wouldn't hurt. Dustin came over and told me I should grab the ankles. I thought for a minute and just kind of gave him a look of confusion. Then I tried to reach up and grab my ankles. He laughed (and Sharon did too) and said "No, grab Sharon's ankles!" I laughed then too because I was wondering how Sharon was going to push my legs down while I was hanging onto my ankles. All I could accomplish there was a kind of rocking motion. It was much easier his way.

The strength training was a lot of leg work. In one exercise we sat on top of a picnic table with our foot of the bench. Then we were supposed to stand on one foot and then sit down. The right leg was not too difficult but the left leg, forget it! Again Dustin came over to help. He told me to use my arms to help propel me. I got at least 1 good one. Most of the time I got some good exercise for my arms but barely got off my butt! I could do it if I sat on the bench and put my foot on the ground and sat up and down that way. I thought it was probably better for me to do it the other way though since it was much more challenging.

So in addition to the core workout Dustin gave us, I also got one for all the laughing I kept doing. I was very, very glad to see those 6:15 am campers arrive. Again, just like Monday, I was shaking some as I went to the Princeton Club to shower for school. Later, even though I was moving around, my core muscles were really sore. Dustin said we would be sore tomorrow, I was sore within a couple of hours. When I got home from school, I took some Ibuprofen for the soreness. Still it was a great "first day of school with the kids" workout!

Might be attending boot camp Thursday instead of Friday this week as it fits into my schedule better but might be too exhausted from the first day to get up at 4:45 am.

Have a good one!

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment