Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26 Brenna's Birthday and Hill Workout


A nice break in the humidity today. We turned off the air conditioning and we were able to air out the house a bit. Very nice temperature for our outdoor workout this morning.

Before talking about the workout just wanted a quick shout out to my daughter. She turned 17 on Friday, July 23rd. In her honor I wrote a little poem. It's actually a song that should be sung to the tune of "16 Going on 17" from the Sound of Music.

You are 17, going on 18
Princess, you're on the brink.
Lots of temptation, for your generation
Brenna, be sure to think.

You are 17, going on 18
It's time to get a job.
All of your spending, it's never ending
A bank you'll have to rob.

Probably unprepared are you
to face the world out there.
Lots of decisions you'll have to make
besides who's straightening your hair.

You'll need someone
older and wiser
Helping with what to do-oo
I'm your daddy, Sharon's your mother
We'll always be there for you!

Brenna had a good birthday with lunch at Red Lobster. Not a good eating day for me though.

It was beautiful weather for our boot camp workout today. Wish it would go back to being light in the morning so it wasn't so hard to get up but we know that's not going to happen. Today was a hill workout. We paired up and then divided into two groups. One group ran the hill first, the other did strength training. We decided to do the strength training first. Hill running is so much fun that we thought we'd save that for last.

The strength exercises weren't too bad. We did some lunges with knee lifts, deltoid presses while standing on one leg, some rows for the back. Boy those 20 lb weights get heavy after continually using them. They get a little harder to hold up with each exercise. Using them has really helped my rotator cuff injury though. Seems to have strengthened them and I don't feel the pain I felt for so long.

Alternating with the strength exercises were the cardio on the hill. Our first section on the hill we would run 30 seconds as far up as we could and then have 90 seconds to walk back down. I'm surprised that I was able to run all 3 times. Slower each time but still did it.

The next time was much harder. One partner would walk up the hill doing lunges while the other ran up the hill backwards. The backwards running just killed my quads. That, of course, made things so much harder. We did that a couple times and then we went back to running. The other person bunny hopped up the hill while holding a weight. You had to keep hopping until the other person walked back down to you. Sharon hurried back down to me so I wouldn't have to hop too long. I, on the other hand, came down pretty slowly. Sharon had to keep hopping away. It was really to her benefit that I came down slowly.

After the hill we did some core exercises. We did the front plank, the side plank with a twist, russian twists with the weights, front planks again with alternate leg and arm raise, and then some crunches with the weights. These core exercises at the end are brutal! I'm increasing in length though, holding them a little longer each time. A couple of them I held the whole time. My balance isn't good though. Was hard to do the overhead presses on one leg and the alternating lifts on the planks. Just something else to keep working at I guess.

Have a good one.
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment