Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday, July 16, 2010 Ouch!

I was the most sore I have been since my very first day at fitness boot camp. Unfortunately, this was before today's boot camp even started. On Wednesday we did the playground workout and I really pushed myself to see if I had made progress. My arms were a little shaky after but I didn't think much of it. Thursday and today my arms and chest were more sore than they have been in ages. The body rows and pull-ups, I think, were the main culprits. It's the good kind of sore though. The kind you get from working muscles harder than you are used to. As I'm typing, they are still pretty sore.

We did the picnic table workout today. Our first task was to push the picnic table up to the post that was situated at the other side of the field. The difficult part was we had to do it while someone was on top of the table doing push-ups. My poor team started with me on top of the table. I'm sure I was the heaviest in my group so it couldn't have been easy. After they went about as far as they could go we switched people so that someone else finished the ride. Our group was too weak so we had to have our person on the table get off so we could get all the way to the post. Now we had to pull the table back to the starting point and the other 2 people got to do the push-ups. The second time we used the table we carried it to the post and brought it back but this time we had to do 10 pushups and 10 tricep dips at either end. The third time we had to extend our arms so that the table was over our heads and then we brought it back. It wasn't really that heavy but my arms were pretty tired by this point. In between our trips to the wooden post, we did circuits that worked the quads, glutes, deltoids, and biceps. Good workout but tough with sore muscles already.

Our cardio was fun but really pushed my endurance. We had to sprint across the field and then group ourselves according to speed. There were 6 in a group. I pushed myself and ran as hard and fast as I could. Unfortunately, this put me in the fastest group. Now we ran in a line, one behind the other, at about 60-70 percent of our peak speed. When the person at the front of the line called out the name of their favorite food or drink, the person at the end of the line sprinted to the front of the line. So we kept rotating being at the front of the line. Of course, I messed up. After I called out the name of my favorite food, pizza, I started to run to the back of the line. So my whole line followed me and we made a little circle. The other person did come to the front of the line eventually and again I started to run to the back. I have no idea what I was thinking! Oh, well, I finally got it right and was just hoping I didn't have to lead again because I was about spent. Right before it was to be my turn again it was time to sprint to the finish. I was glad because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to go much further. Sharon and I did take the time after camp to do more stretching. Hopefully this well help to prevent future injury.

After boot camp we went to Woodman's grocery store. This was still before 7 am so the store was still shiny and really clean. Sharon started laughing when she noticed I was leaving a trail of grass from my shoes all down the aisle. I started stamping my feet as we walked so I was leaving grass everywhere. We separated to get some different items and I told Sharon she could just follow my trail to find me after.

On Sunday I'm teaching my first body sculpt class since starting boot camp. It will be interesting to see how I hold up as often my legs are pretty sore after I teach.
Have a good weekend.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment