Monday, July 19, 2010

July 19, 2010 22 Years and Counting...


I often have people ask me if I still teach at Princeton East. These are colleagues, friends, or members of the club that remember that instructing was a big part of my life. My answer to that question is yes. Over 22 years now and I'm still going. I only teach on a rotational basis now. It became much harder to find time once the kids started getting older. I actually thought it would get easier once they got older. Silly me! It is nice though to have members tell me they wish I taught more or how much they enjoyed the class. The exercise in the picture is a stability ball roll in for the lower abs. Looks like we were just starting to roll the ball in. I like this exercise a great deal for abs and upper body.

I taught Sunday and was interested to see how this would affect my fit camp workout on Monday. Well, it did I think.

When I woke up on Monday my legs felt pretty good. I attribute this to fit camp and all the quad work we've done. Usually my quads are killing me after a day I teach but not today. More progress. Unfortunately the inner thighs were sore. I don't exercise those enough so I can always tell when I do. When we got to the park I thought "Oh no!" because we could see Dustin's car by the hill. I was relieved when he pulled it back to the shelter. Unfortunately when the group formed by the shelter he told us that much of our workout would be on the hill. Dang the luck.

The first part of the workout was killer as well. Looking at these exercises it doesn't look hard, but once you start doing them the heart rate really gets going and they work the muscles. We warmed up on the tennis courts. We had a couple sprints at the end that got the heart going good. Then we went back to the shelter and divided up. For half the circuit we used the picnic bench. We did one legged step ups with weights. I started with my 20 pound weights and did as many as I could but started wearing out pretty quickly. But I did it for the full time, both legs. Unfortunately, I didn't reach the 20 reps we were supposed to. Then we had to do it again! I started with the 20 but had to switch to the 10. I was figuring that all that leg work we did in my class yesterday was not helping me any now. When we finally switched we went over to the mats. We had to do front planks with a partner that we kept slapping hands with, and then we did back extensions with hand slaps as well. We had to do each twice. Man this was hard. The time goes really slow during these although the class goes quickly!

When we went back in the shelter we sat on the benches and did these one legged squats. We sat and had to get up on only one leg. My balance was bad but I was able to do it okay. There was no way I was going to be able to do this with weights though. Finally we did one more rotation on the mats, swimmers and one-legged side planks, and then we were ready (for better or worse) for the hill.

We sprinted over to the hill and then chose a partner that was in our speed range. We ran up the hill for 30 seconds, trying to beat our partner up the hill. Then we would walk back down. We continued this going for a shorter time each time. Then we went up the hill backwards. Then we hopped up the hill. The we combined the two. My legs were not happy campers at this point. I pushed what I could but still had to walk some. Finally we got back down and sprinted back to the shelter. I cheated just a bit at the end because I wanted to check in with someone from my group last week and she was a little slower. However, it was the end anyways. I, as usual, was a sweaty mess. Luckily my deodorant has been working better but now I smell like OFF because I don't want those mosquitoes bothering me.

Have a good one.
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment