Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 Boot Camp Baseball

This morning was perfect for a workout. Actually, it was perfect for sleeping in as well. Weighing the two, and really weighing myself, working out was the better option, darn it.

It was a cool, crisp, dark morning. Roads were pretty clear and the construction near our house was pushed aside so that made things easier. It seemed like an easy drive but I can't be sure since Sharon drove and my eyes were closed most of the way. Sharon and I chatted about our dreams so I totally missed the Sean Hannity minute. Thank goodness because I can't stand that jerk. He's way too negative. I laughed telling Sharon about mine because it was about indoor boot camp! It's funny how dreams seem to start about one thing and then move into another. Mine went from boot camp to being mad at Sharon and my daughter not cleaning up at the club, leaving me to do it, to some kind of Greek Odyssey through what used to the area behind my garage when I was growing up. Who knows where that came from?

Boy it was plenty dark at the park shelter. I sprayed myself down with OFF (just in case) and wore my hoodie through the warm up. I like to stay in back during the warm up. I figure it is just a warm up and I don't want to use all my energy trying to keep up in front. I just want to get the blood flowing and muscles warmed up. But as it is staying darker, longer in the morning I might have to move up a bit. I can't see what the leader is doing and I'm so far in back I sometimes can't hear him either!

We did boot camp baseball today. It was pretty basic. We started at home base in a plank position moving to the push-up position. Then we bunny hopped to first base and did front lifts using 2 weights. Next we did a side shuffle to second base where we did burpees with a push-up (dang this was hard) and finally, we side shuffled to third base where we did deltoid raises and lateral raises. Then we sprinted back to home base. We did 15 at each station and just took off to the next station when we finished. When time was up, water break.

After this first circuit we faced my old nemesis, the hill. This shouldn't be so bad though, I thought. We just had to sprint over to the hill, run up to the fence, jog or walk quickly back down, and then back to the tennis court to begin our next circuit. I actually did okay getting up the hill. I, of course, was breathing heavily but was able to rest a little at the top while we cheered for the others who weren't there yet. I still have problems coming back down though. Just a little more cautious than I need to be but it takes me a while to get back. I also was talking to another member and finding out more about her goals and things on my way back. I took a little to long though and had to quick sprint at the end because the directions were being given before I got there.

The second rotation was V-sit ups, squats with a deltoid press, one legged hip lifts, and deltoid lifts and lateral raises again. We ran between stations. Again we did as many sets as we could in the alloted time. Then back to the hill again. Not so easy this time. I was wondering if people could hear me talking to myself as we ran up. I kept saying stuff like "a few more steps, a few more steps" and "it's almost flat, it's almost flat", finally it was "there's the fence, there's the fence...no walking, no walking" and I made it! I ran all the way up two times. Woo hoo! Good for me. But then, more work on the hill. This time we ran backwards (another psychological block for some reason I guess I just don't want to fall), and turned around and sprinted to the fence. I made it to the fence. I sure couldn't call it a sprint but at least it wasn't a walk (almost though). Then we went back down a little bit and bear crawled back to the fence. This was my weakest event by far. First of all I looked around and saw I was doing it totally wrong. After I corrected myself I did better but my back was somewhat uncomfortable. Lack of flexibility and weak core were the likely culprits. But at least we were done. We gathered around and shared something we were proud of. There were some real accomplishments here. Mine was running the hill twice without walking. I walked down the hill after chatting with Sharon. We did get to see Dustin run up the hill some and down some today and that was a first for us. Man I wish I had long legs like that!

Have a good one.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment