Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 11, 2010 The Swarm


Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, and more mosquitoes. I hate them. Really, I do. This summer has been the worst for them. They eat right through the Off. I don't know how much longer our Cutter's Back Yard will hold them off and Brenna only reapplied it last week. It has made boot camp uncomfortable too. The boot camp in McFarland has been moved indoors because those dang bugs are even worse there! We are still outside. I'll come back to that though.

I bought my Blu-ray copy of What's Up, Doc? yesterday and watched it last night. I love this movie. It has been called the Barbra Streisand movie for people who don't like Streisand (which is not me, of course). It has a great cast of character actors in supporting roles with standout performances from Madeline Kahn and Mabel Anderson. There are so many quotable lines, which I do often. I showed this movie to Brenna when she was in third grade and she loved it then and now. We often watch it together and just laugh over and over. She especially likes when "Eunice" counts to 5. If you haven't ever watched this movie give it a chance. I think you'll like it.

Ok back to boot camp. Sharon and I were really tired this morning. For some reason, neither of us slept well and got only about 3 hours of sleep. So it was hard to get up and going but we did. Yuck it was very humid also which we knew would make working out even harder. We sprayed ourselves down with insect repellent and made sure to take our water with us. Dustin helped our group deal with the mosquitoes by making sure we were moving as much as possible. And, to be sure our cardio work wasn't going downhill, we spent time running up the hill.

After conquering the hill I wasn't too worried. I was pretty sure I could get up and work on improving my time. Then we got the new wrinkle. We had to run up the hill while carrying a medicine ball over our heads. As luck would have it, we had to partner up with someone who was near our speed and I had an excellent partner. I felt bad for her as her endurance was much better than mine so she probably didn't get as good a work out as she might have. While one ran up the hill the other ran backwards nearby. Then we would switch. I was very happy when we got to the top and got to walk back down.

For our strength training we did some leg work. It was good except that because I was in the faster group, we had to do bonus exercises while we waited for the other group to finish! I had some major league sore legs.

The next time up the hill with our partner we played fetch! One person had to throw the medicine ball as far as he could and the other person would run the distance to where the ball landed. Then the other would throw the ball and the other would chase it. Again, this got really hard on the legs. At the end my partner got off a great throw and it landed near the fence. So that finished us up. Again a nice walk down to catch our breath.

We finished with core work on the tennis court. Boy you can tell you are working your abs. The last exercise Joe called our grand finale on the 4th of July. We had to hold our legs six inches off the ground. Then, when Stanley called out the move, we had to do it. We did scissors, lifted the legs, opened the legs, lifted the legs, scissored, etc. You couldn't help but kind of laugh when you were doing this and it was fun but it did work you out.

I was very glad to be finished though. It was too humid and itchy but I got through it and now my workout is done for the day. I bought another DVD yesterday because it was on sale. A combo DVD of Old Yeller and it's sequel Savage Sam. I had read the sequel as a kid but didn't realize it had been made into a movie. Elijah is pretty excited to watch it but he's saving it for the weekend when he's not so tired from camp. We'll enjoy it though.

Have a good one.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment