Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday, August 23, 2010 The Mist


I went to Michigan for 4 days last week. I knew my greatest challenge would be the food. Unfortunately it was. 2 cookouts, a family dinner, my niece's birthday with my favorite pizza in the world. A recipe for disaster in the eating department. On the plus side, a lot of time was spent at the beach or at the pool. I didn't do laps or anything but having 6 kids along, ranging from ages 3 to 13 made for a great workout. Plus, Lake Michigan was nothing but waves the 2 days we spent there. I was chasing the Frisbee against the waves, pulling children, lifting children, trying to toss children into the waves, and it all gets pretty heavy after a while. And the legs got a great workout too. Running in the water against the waves really was a challenge. So I got somewhat of a workout. The pool wasn't as much of a challenge but definitely got a workout. Those 3-4 year olds love to be lifted, spun, pushed, and whatever else they can think of in the water. They are pretty light but the repetition did give a nice upper body workout.

Today we had our workout in the early morning mist. The grass was soaking wet but luckily we were able to put off going into the field until the end. Ryan was our coach today. I like Ryan a great deal. He is always full of enthusiasm and has a smile on his face. He makes everything look easy but I know better.

We started with a warm-up jog through the parking lot. Then we stopped and did a circuit that primarily worked lower body. We did some push ups there too. Then we jogged back to the shelter and did a circuit that focused on both upper body and lower body. We did push ups with tricep dips, deltoid presses, wall sits, lunges with a twist while holding the medicine ball, and some jumps. Then we did a 3 minute deltoid workout. Palm presses up, down, backward, and forward. Stanley did this with us as well and was fun to watch as he groaned with the rest of us. Then we repeated our circuit.

Our final phase was the cardio on the hill. We took our water bottles with us and ran into the mist, immediately getting our feet drenched. Spooky movie time. I wondered if Ryan had ever seen The Mist or The Fog. If he had he would have known that sometimes there are creatures in the mist. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything except us so we had to run the hill. We ran up the hill for about 30 seconds, dropped our water bottles and jogged back down. The next time we tried to beat our distance and then jogged down again. We did it again a third time. When Ryan told us to switch we turned around and ran backwards. I was able to beat my distance each time which was very satisfying. I hate the running backwards though. That is a real weak spot for me. The last run was not good for me. We were supposed to run as far up as we could towards the fence at the top. The first person there came back down and collected the rest of us. I didn't make it all the way up and let myself walk towards the top. The worst part was I did it after the toughest part of the hill. Ugh. Gotta keep working at this. I'll never get under the 4 minute mark if I don't push myself harder!

Sharon came back today and did pretty much everything. She didn't take it as easy as the chiropractor said but I guess she is the one who knows how her body feels.

Have a good one.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment