Monday, July 11, 2011

Watch the Skies Monday, July 11



This morning I was greeted with an amazing light show. When I got out of bed at 4:30 am and went downstairs, I saw a flash of light through the window. I wasn't sure at first what I was seeing so I went over to the patio window and looked out. The flashes came so quickly I wasn't sure if it was lightning. There were light flashes but no thunder. Maybe it was some kind of alien invasion like War of the Worlds. Nah couldn't be. These weren't lightning bolts. Dang. Then came the low rumble. Ok. So it was lightning and thunder. Briefly I thought about going back to bed. After all, you can't go to bootcamp in a thunderstorm. However I noticed there was no rain. Okay. What to do? I was already up so I might as well stay up. I decided to check out the bootcamp web site. Dustin said he would post by a 1/2 hour before class whether or not it was cancelled due to severe weather. When no such announcement came, off I went across town.

The parking lot was already crowded when I got there. I had to hurry as I was pulling in at the last minute and I really did not want to do push-ups. I tried to move quickly but it still looked like I was going to be the last one. Luckily as I was walking to our usual shelter Dustin was checking the weather on his cell phone. Even though the lightning had stopped it looked like rain was coming our way so he told me to go over to the other shelter. The rest of the class jogged over as part of the warm-up. Once we were all there we were in for a pretty tough workout.

The temperature was about 78 degrees with high humidity when we started. There was no breeze to speak of. To be honest, I can't even remember everything we did today. Dustin and Ashton had to make up the workout on the fly since the plan for today was scrapped due to weather. We chose partners to work with and then we separated. For core we did weighted crunches, side planks with a weighted twist, side dips with weights, and oblique work with weights. For early cardio we used the picnic table and did a kind of jogging toe tap, a side lunge with one foot on the bench and then repeated. We also sat on the bench and then stood using only one leg. After switching legs we had to sit on the bench and then jump up. Not as easy as it sounds.

Ashton had us do additional upper body work. We did push ups, tricep work while lying on our backs, upright rows, and tricep extensions. We also did 1 minute wall sits with bicep curls. I was absolutely drenched in sweat from the heat as were the other bootcampers. But we weren't done yet. Time for more cardio so out we went to the parking lot for sprints. I am happy to say that I really did go all out on my sprints but boy was I winded afterwards. Finally, to finish, we did an exercise where we mirrored what our partner was doing. I told my partner that if I vomited she didn't have to mirror that. We did this for about 3 minutes and we were done. As we left I was so glad I did the early class. I would have been so sad to just be arriving while seeing all these people soaked with sweat, looking exhausted, leaving. Still, it left me with a real sense of accomplishment. And some really wobbly legs.

Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment